LEARN TO DIVE – EXTENDED RANGE NITROX DIVING
This program bridges the gap between RECREATIONAL and TECHNICAL diving and provides the knowledge and experience required to independently plan and conduct limited decompression dives to a maximum depth of 40 metres, using nitrox mixtures up to 50%. This entry-level program introduces you to the Extended Range training techniques and skills, after which you will be qualified to dive up to 15 minutes of decompression and can be completed wearing a standard single-cylinder equipment configuration. You will earn the SSI Extended Range Nitrox Diving certification after completing this program.
The SSI XR NITROX course gives you an opportunity to see if going down the TECHNICAL track is what you want to do without having to make that all out commitment of investing in a twin system.
The XR Nitrox course is 2 evenings and 2 days. The first part includes theory with an equipment configuration workshop, a discussion about proper trim in diver position and the use of new equipment such as stage tanks. Over the second part you will complete a total of 4 boat dives up to depths of 40 metres. During these dives you will progress through skills to complete decompression stops of up to 15 minutes, proper stage tank use, as well as gas planning and management.
The course includes:
- Online training + 2 class theory sessions
- Open Water dives: 4 x Boat dives
- Maximum training depth: 40 metres
- Internationally recognised certification to scuba dive anywhere in the world to depths of up to 40 metres.
- Internationally recognised certification to dive up to 50% nitrox.
- Plan and execute dives safely with a maximum of 15 minutes of decompression.
- Maximum 4:1 student to instructor ratio.
- Minimum Age: 18
- Certification prerequisites: Deep Diving, Enriched Air Nitrox 40%
- 24 dives logged
- Online Nitrox diver materials and certification
- Use of analysis and assessment gas blends
- TOTAL DIVE SYSTEM with BC and a lift capacity of a minimum of 30lbs with stainless steel D-rings on
the shoulders and on the hips (Best option – Wing & Plate)
- 2mt hose on primary second stage
- Necklace on redundant second stage
- 1 x SMB and reel with minimum 50m line on. (finger reel is acceptable)
- 1 x Dive computer with gas switching capabilities (2 recommended)
- If diver does not have 2 x dive computers, they need to have a separate bottom timer and depth
meter (stopwatch and analogue depth meter)
- Laptop, tablet or smartphone with dive planning software loaded (V-planner recommended)
- 1 x Stage cylinder (minimum S40 / 5,7L) fitted with appropriate bolt snaps, bungees, ropes, etc
- 1 x Stage regulator including 1st stage, 2nd stage and SPG. (preferably an occy-length hose between 1st and 2nd stage and 15cm hose on SPG)
- Slate for dive planning (wrist slate recommended)